The Pattern layer can be used to generate and achieve different types of patterns to texture your 3D objects.
How to create a Pattern Layer
To add a pattern layer, you’ll need to:
- Select an object and add a new layer on the Material Panel.
- Change the layer to “Pattern” by clicking on the dropdown on the newly created layer.
- Open the Pattern Layer settings by clicking on the layer thumbnail.
Pattern Layer Settings
Some layers, including Pattern Layer, have the ability to be used as masks, which you can do by selecting Mask on the layer mode. Learn more here:
Style → The type of pattern (Circle, Ring, Polygon, Cross, Diamond, Checkerboard, Line, and Wave)
Parameters for each style → Each style has its own settings that you can adjust. We encourage you to experiment to find your desired pattern.
Some of these common parameters of the Pattern styles are:
- Projection (UV, Spherical, Triplanar
- Offset (X, Y)
- Frequency / Size / Variation / Rotation, etc…
- Vertical (Top, Bottom) /Horizontal (Left, Right)
By stacking multiple Pattern Layers you can achieve a lot of different combinations and create truly unique patterns.